Arrive in 60 AD: the Romans occupy Britain, and unrest grows. The widowed Iceni queen, Boudica, seeks to overthrow Roman rule – as do the Trinovantes. In her fury, Boudica wipes out whole communities. No one knows where she might strike next.
Our staff painstakingly researched Roman Britain to create a new historical narrative for our Roman Day. Our new day places the children in a Roman fort occupied by the Roman IX Legion, completing work on the fort’s principal buildings.
As the children work, news arrives that Boudica is winning important battles, including destroying Colchester, London, St Albans and the IX Legion’s infantry.
The afternoon currently features a Roman feast. A new afternoon in development will ask children to untangle the aftermath of the Boudican rebellion, trying to identify personal affects. Could a Boudican spy have been in their midst all along?
(View our risk assessment of the day’s activities in a new tab.)
How You Contribute to the Day
To make the most of your children’s day, please help us with the following:
- Adult helpers: The number of children participating determines how many work stations our Teacher brings. Please recruit a corresponding number of adults (teachers, TAs, parents) to oversee the activities and the afternoon session. (Your booking form lists the exact number needed.)
- The school hall: Please reserve the school hall for the full day (it is not a problem if it is used for lunch).
- Food: Please provide a small amount of food for the afternoon banquet. (It is a very small amount that helps set the scene — you can find details in the booklet when it arrives.)
- Costumes: Please encourage the children to dress up in simple costumes. It helps them feel the part.
What to Wear
Costumes need not be complicated — we suggest the following “homemade” alternatives:
- Boys or Girls: A knee-length sleeveless tunic with a belt and sandals. (A plain large T-shirt will do.)
For those who prefer, we offer a bespoke costume service through History Off the Peg. We sell inexpensive costumes for both children and adults.
View costume options and pricing on our website, www.historyoffthepeg.co.uk. Place an order by sending an e-mail containing your name, your school, the date of the event, the topic, your child’s age and your child’s size to email@example.com.
Photos of the Day: