The Geology Lab
Minerals, Rocks, Fossils and Soils
Get hands-on and explore the physical world as a scientist. Become a geologist, a pedologist or a palaeontologist, but with no white coats or goggles required!
“Interactive and perfectly paced. A good mix of learning tasks that engaged all learners.” — KS2 Teacher, West Sussex
What the Children Will Learn
Using practical experiments and scientific methods, the children will explore:
- Rocks – classification, formation, the rock cycle
- Setting up and running a fair test
- The geological timeline
- The water cycle
- Erosion & weathering processes
- Fossils – how they occur
- Soils – comparison & composition
- Microscope examination
- Materials & their properties
- How minerals & rocks relate to our everyday lives
They will be challenged to devise and build their own schemes to protect our environment.
(View our risk assessment of the day’s activities in a new tab.)
How You Contribute to the Day
To make the most of your children’s day, please help us with the following:
- Adult helpers: The number of children participating determines how many work stations our Teacher brings. Please recruit a corresponding number of adults (teachers, TAs, parents) to oversee the activities . (Your booking form lists the exact number needed.)
- The school hall: Please reserve the school hall for the full day (it is not a problem if it is used for lunch).
Please note that we still require adult helpers for in-school days. If this conflicts with your schools coronavirus policies, please let us know.